A Goal Without a Plan is a Plan to Fail!
How is it that you make serious New Year’s resolutions and by January 31st, you feel like a failure because you have become lost along the way. Then your negative self-talk sets in saying unkind things to you like, “you are a loser.” So, let’s take a look at how to help you succeed. You will need a plan.
I am not sure who said,” A goal without a plan is a plan to fail,” so I apologize for not giving credit to the appropriate author. But, let’s look at some ways you can be SUCCESSFUL with any goal you choose to set for 2019.
Why set yourself up for failure year after year? Choose to do something to help yourself this year. Here is a very long list of questions for you to consider.
For instance, if you are going to record everything you eat, realize that is going to take time. So, plan for it.
- IF YOU COULD ONLY CHOOSE ONE GOAL, WHAT
WOULD IT BE?
- If you can’t make yourself choose one goal, choose no more than three and prioritize them based on which is most important and least important.
- ASK YOURSELF WHY THAT GOAL(S) IS IMPORTANT TO YOU?
- WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO DO TO ACCOMPLISH
- This is important because you are becoming aware this goal is going to cost you something. It is not just going to magically happen.
- IN ORDER, TO ACCOMPLISH THAT GOAL(S), WHAT
IS YOUR ACTION PLAN?
- Be specific. What do you need to do each day
to reach that goal?
- What time of the day will you focus on working your plan?
- How much time will you spend focusing on the plan?
- Be specific. What do you need to do each day to reach that goal?
- HOW WILL YOU MEASURE YOUR SUCCESS?
- How will you know you are succeeding? How about creating a check list to check off your success?
- What will you do with your lack of success?
- How will you take care of your emotions around your success and failure? Some days will be better than others. This is not going to be perfect. Let go of perfection before you start.
- BE REALISTIC.
- PLAN FOR YOUR EMOTIONAL REACTIONS. YOU MUST MAKE ROOM FOR EMOTIONS LIKE FEAR, DISAPPOINTMENT, ANGER, SADNESS, AND SUCCESS.
Yes, are you prepared to succeed? If you don’t sabotage yourself, you can and will succeed.
What will success cost you? What will you have to change to succeed? You cannot achieve your goal without personal change. Are you prepared to be different? Are you prepared to be comfortable? And, finally, is the timing right for you? You can give yourself permission not to set any goals right now and pass on this whole New Year’s Eve tradition ad choose to set a goal later when you are more prepared emotionally and physically?
Those are a lot of questions, but they are there to help you get serious. It is important that you just don’t write down goals without really thinking about how you are going to accomplish them.
Set aside a block of time (even if you already have set your goals for 2019), and ask yourself the above questions. Write out your answers. Put it away for twenty-four hours and then re-read your answers. Now, how do you tweak your plan to achieve your goal?
Need help with this you have two options. I have a one-time booster package to help you sort through your process and I have a full-year program. Check them out.